Sunday, March 27, 2011

Train Tracks

Last week my church started the series, Trees, focusing on the fruit that we as Christians produce in our lives. Going with the plant analogy (we took an "impromptu" communion today of unleavened bread and actual grapes, which I thought was was pretty cool), I really started thinking about my real life garden, which is in its third season. Each season since then, I've learned a bit more about gardening things: fertilization, which crops require what levels of work, which I'll actually use/be able to give away, which crops I'm good at tending (corn takes WAY too much work in case you were wondering...you have to hand pollinate small gardens and have to get pollen on each silk and there's like, only a 2hr window once a day and...anyway...)...all kinds of stuff. Looking back over my last decade of life, I've learned even more lessons and gotten even more feedback on my spiritual plantiness.


My half pollinated corn on a bed of Chinese cabbage

There are little parasites that pop up and slow down my growth and other things that, like a an emerging bud, have shown me that there is a reason for where I am:

I have one big go-to issue...by no means my only one, but it's definitely the most consistant. Essentially it's my trying to think my way to God. As much as I'm consious of it, it crops its way up in new and different ways all the time. Kind of a tangible efforts to meet intangible goals kinda deal.

On a more positive side, I can honestly say that in all the struggles I've had with faith and purpose and career and job, God has blessed me to give me hints as to reasons for situations I see as less than ideal. From coworkers letting me know that they were glad I could support them through difficulties in their lives to people at the gym telling me that they see me as a calm, peace-making person. While it was great to hear those things, I've learned a lot more from these people who were honest and open enough to tell me these things...a trait that I could definitely work on in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment