The title of this blog is a triple entendre based on some recent changes in my life. I'm Christian, introverted, single, have a high IQ, work in corporate America and after years of attending a "Black church", now attend a "White church"
This is why I write this blog.
Friday, October 22, 2010
Zombies and Christianity
I saw this on the High Calling and HAD to read it...yes...because of the title. No, I'm not a zombie-enthusiast. It's a stretch, but it makes some good points and asks these questions that I wanted to try to answer...
1. What do you think zombies represent? 2. When do you most feel like you're turning into a zombie? 3. Where do the zombies congregate in your life? 4. How can God and your community protect you?
1. Zombies represent any area of my life where I'm moving without purpose and true motivation. Any area where I'm following my base nature and nothing more.
2. Lately...food. Normally I'd say work, but I've been doing really well eating purposefully for the past...3 years or so. My job's been kind of stressful lately though, and while it's only one meal a day, lunch has just been out the window lately...all kinds of bready, saucy, fatty, sugary treats that serves as mid-day entertainment and distraction from stress.
3. Career (it's easy to fall prey to what I "should" be doing at...whatever age)...food...shopping habits (generally within my budget, but do I really need another pair of shoes? Even REALLY cute ones?)
4. Fighting off "zombies" is all about staying conscious of what you're doing with your time and resources. I know it's pretty heavily debated, but tithing...especially when it's extended to areas beyond money (like time and relationships), is...I've found...at the very least...a good reminder of how to proportion your life, and how much of a difference a small "investment" can make. It's also a good way to establish "inconveniencing" yourself...which is BIG for me in the area of time. If I'm selfish with anything, it's my time. I have a really twisted relationship with the clock (hate being late, love watches, hate being on a schedule, love making them) and it can be crazy difficult for me to make time for anything that's not part of my zombie habit....even rest.